hCG Diet Phase 2 is whe re the weight loss action is at. Here you will be limiting your diet to specific foods and also to a very restricted calorie level. In addition, you will be dosed daily with the hCG- either with the injections or oral drops. This phase normally lasts for up to about 43 or 45 days depending on your provider and the target amount of weight you want to lose.
THIS IS A DESCRIPTION OF THE DIET, NOT A GUIDE TO PERFORM IT. THIS IS NOT MEANT AS A TOOL TO USE IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THE DIET- YOU MUST DO THIS PROGRAM UNDER THE CARE OF LICENSED PHYSICIANS!
Depending on the provider you use, the first three days can be found represented as the last three days of hCG Diet Phase 1 or the first three days of hCG Diet Phase 2. (some providers call this the phase 1, and others still refer to it as the Reducing phase or the hCG Phase). At any rate, the first three days while taking the daily doses of hCG your diet will consist of excessive eating of high fat content foods. This has been referred to as “loading” and what is happening here is a high fat intake while the hCG comes into your system and allows your body time to get the fat stores identified and ready.
If you do the loading part correctly, when you suddenly shift from the high fat content to the no fat and reduced calorie (typically 500 calories a day) diet, you will limit your hunger and ease the transition. When you shift over to the 500 calorie diet (very low calorie diet- VLCD) your body, aided by the hCG, will look to liberate the excess fat that was stored in all those long term locations and convert it to food energy in the blood stream. Your lack of fat and calorie intake is made up for by your body actually burning the stored fat in your system so that you will continue to have energy available just as if you have been eating regularly.
During the VLCD portion of this diet you will scrutinize everything you eat, drink, and even use on your body (like make-up or lotions that might cause you to absorb fats through the skin). You will measure, with a scale, all the meats you use. You will carefully check it all, counting it all and knowing exactly what you eat each day. Nothing about anything you consume will go past your notice…you are determined to maintain strict adherence to the actual diet.
Now, don’t worry too much because you are taking the daily hCG doses and it is working to liberate those stored fats and convert them to energy for your body to use. Your body will continue to burn the same number of calories it did before. You cannot make energy from no energy and just because you ate less doesn’t mean your body will burn less. As you progress, you will consume your fat as energy and in a real sense you will see your body fat percentage decrease as well as your body weight.
It would be helpful during this time to take really good notes on all of the things that you are eating, drinking, and otherwise using. You should have done your homework in phase 1 and have a good method to track all the results in one place. You should have a routine built up so that you take your weight every morning and preferably some of the more critical body measurements such as waist, hips, and thigh circumferences. If you followed my suggestions, then you would also be making a daily report on your blog and posting it for your viewers to see and comment on.
One of the biggest challenges during the hCG Diet Phase 2 is getting past the monotony. Your list of approved foods is actually pretty small and limited. Not only are you eating much less quantity but also you are choosing from a very narrow band of types of things you can eat. This is a major struggle for many people and it seems that proper preparation during phase one is critical. My absolute best advice for this is to get a copy of the original hCG Diet Gourmet Cookbook and plan your meals out before you even start this phase. Get it early enough so that you can study it for the things you want to eat and lay it all out on a calendar. This will take much of the guess work out of what to eat while thinking on the fly- and will result in a higher rate of success.
What is authorized to eat varies from provider to provider but during the hCG Diet Phase 2 from the original manuscript from Dr. Simeons provides this list:
- Breakfast: Tea or coffee in any quantity without sugar. Only one tablespoonful of milk allowed in 24 hours. Saccharin or other sweeteners may be used.
- Lunch: 100 grams of veal, beef, chicken breast, fresh white fish, lobster, crab or shrimp. All visible fat must be carefully removed before cooking, and the meat must be weighed raw. It must be boiled or grilled without additional fat. Salmon, eel, tuna, herring, dried or pickled fish are not allowed. The chicken breast must be removed raw from the bird. One type of vegetable only to be chosen from the following: spinach, chard, chicory, beet-greens, green salad, tomatoes, celery, fennel, onions, red radishes, cucumbers, asparagus, cabbage. One breadstick (grissino) or one Melba toast. An apple or an orange or a handful of strawberries or one-half grapefruit.
- Dinner : The same four choices as lunch.
- Fluids: Tea, coffee, plain water, or mineral water are the only drinks allowed, but they may be taken in any quantity and at all times. In fact, the patient should drink about 2 liters of these fluids per day. Many patients are afraid to drink so much because they fear that this may make them retain more water. This is a wrong notion as the body is more inclined to store water when the intake falls below its normal requirements.
- Snacks: The fruit or the breadstick may be eaten between meals instead of with lunch or dinner, but not more than four items listed for lunch and dinner may be eaten at one meal. No medicines or cosmetics other than lipstick, eyebrow pencil and powder may be used without special permission
I would think that an excellent hCG Diet Phase 2 routine would include a morning stage of obtaining and recording measurements such as weight, circumferences, and general feelings and the daily dose of hCG. Breakfast would follow then off to work. Eat lunch and dinner at the appropriate times. In the evening, a session at the computer to post your results for the day, to include what you ate also, your morning measurements, and an expression of how you felt in the morning, afternoon and evening. The evening should also include planning and/or making the following day’s lunch so it is ready to be eaten at the right time and not leave you searching for something if you got distracted at work. (This is critical for a guy like me who has a free-flowing work day and not one day looks like the next. Having the meal ready to go when I get time for lunch is critical).
Many sources I have found on the internet point out that during this phase you should expect 1-3 pounds lost per day. I find it interesting that in the original Dr. Simeons Pounds And Inches he says that it would take 23 days (including the loading stage) on the hCG doses to lose 15 pounds. My math says that is 15 pounds in 20 days- or .75 pounds a day. This seems so much more realistic to me. Notwithstanding, several bloggers and vloggers claim more than one pound a day results for in their experience.
The major theme here is set your expectations to realistic levels, adhere to the plan specifically, track and share your results with your support group(s), and cover your next day’s meals the night before. Follow these rules and I think you will have a great run at the diet. Understand though, that the real battle is yet to be undertaken. So far, you have merely fixed the over-fat part…next is fixing the real reason you got over fat to begin with.